Wednesday, July 13, 2011

HEY! HOW YA DOIN'? -- I'M O.K., YOU?

See this fuzzy cartoon character?  Just like the question in the title.  Fuzzy.  Not fuzzy to us, in North America, but fuzzy and mysterious in other parts of the world.  We ask each other this question only because we don't want to stop at a pure "Hello."  It is so ingrained to hear, "OK" that when someone really says the truth, like, "I got this tooth that's killing me" we are caught off guard and all we can come up with is, "Uh, gee, umm, sorry to hear  that."  It's so bad that for the most part we just say "OK" or "Fine" and get it over with.  We then go on our way and the friend leaves because there is nothing else to say.  Now, before you say something innocent like, "We Americans are really weird" please allow me to put you at ease.
France is slightly more complicated.  It goes like this:
9:00 AM  "Bonjour" (Good day) "Bonjour." followed by a handshake...obligatory.
9:01 AM  "Ca va?" (It's all good) "Ca va."
9:01:30 AM "Bien dormi?" (You sleep well?) "Oui, merci." (Yes, thanks)
I have never dared to tell the truth during this exchange.  If I had the least bit of discomfort, I would never declare it because I have no idea how the interlocutor would handle it.  I have to admit that when I first arrived in France, I had to translate the culture of the whole interchange into our abbreviated form.  It was not easy.  It was surprising for me to see the greeter just leave as though nothing had happened.  It seemed to me that such intimate information should lead to something better than an abrupt separation.  But hey, "C'est la vie."
Italy really is different too.  Similar, but more, how shall I say, Italian?
"A, Paolo, buon giorno!" (Hey, Paul, good day)  "Come stai?" (How are you?)
"Bene.  E tu?" (Fine.  And you?)
"Bene, pure.  Hai ben dormito?" (I'm fine too.  Did you sleep well?")
"Si.  Grazie.  E tu?  Buoni Sogni?" (Yes.  You?  Sweet dreams?")
"Si.  Tutto bene, grazie.  Un cafe, Paolo."  (Yes.  All's well, thanks.  How about a coffee, Paul?")
Notice how personal the interchange is, without being intrusive?  After it's all over, we Americans figure that we're never going to get any work done that day.
The Philippines have a rather interesting cultural pattern about greetings.  It is mandatory to greet everyone that you encounter upon first laying eyes on the individual.  "Good morning" (or whatever part of the day it is) is all it takes.  It is also mandatory to take leave upon separation, but this is rarely a separatory blessing, it is just a simple, "I'm leaving now."  It is also mandatory to greet someone with an invitation to eat if that someone happens to appear while you are at table.  We don't do it the same way.  In the Philippines it is a simple "Let's eat."  But remember, it is just a mandatory greeting, not an invitation.  I know.  It took me a little while before I learned the difference between the greeting and the invitation.  So, the next time you burst in on Filipinos while they are eating and they say, "Oh hello, Father.  Let's eat."  Remember that you're supposed to say the equivalent to our American "I'm fine", which is, "No thanks, I just ate."  This not a lie.  It is true that you just ate yesterday.  Just like, we all know that you are fine, but that you'll be better when you get back from the chiropractor.  
I have many vignettes about language culture that I could entertain you with.  A few of them are errors that I made along the road of my short life.  Most of them in public, if you please.  Some in Italy and some in the Philippines, but perhaps the funniest one happened in Tijuana, Mexico.
We were talking to the owner of a landscaping company.  This was a woman in her early 40's, very sharp, very well educated and very business oriented.  I and my assistant were taking her around the property of the manufacturing plant where I was the director of human resources and the outside "environment."  As we were talking about the way to trim and maintain the edges of the property along the bottom of the chain-link fence, I used a word that I imported from another language which I thought meant "edge" or "border."  I saw her face stiffen and relax all in the space of a couple of nano-seconds.  I saw my assistant blush to the point of wilting the nearby flowers.  We all stayed in character for the 15 minutes  that it took for the meeting to come to term.  We shook hands (Mexican women have good handshakes) and parted.  When we (I and the assistant) got to my office, he softly announced that I had used a slang word spoken on street corners to name the male member.  All I could do was to laugh.  Then, I wrote a letter of apology to the lady.  I thanked her for staying cool.  I also pleaded that she continue to speak to me in Spanish during our business encounters.  Which she did, after we finished laughing at my linguistic faux-pas the next time she came to examine the work of her crew.  If I we ever meet again, we will speak Spanish, as usual, but only after revisiting the humorous side of my moment of cultural indecency.

No comments:

Post a Comment