Wednesday, May 18, 2011

WHY DOES THE TIME GO BY SO FAST?

This is how I have been feeling these days.  I just simply have too many things to do and not enough time to do them all.  I get up in the morning and I have plans for the day and then I add to them as I go. That causes me to look up to heaven and wonder why there are not 26 hours in a day.  There is no answer to that. When I asked the Voice from the Kitchen to give me a hand with that problem, she was singularly adverse to helping me.  She, in fact, thinks that 24 hours are just fine.  She feels that way because she has a habit of "borrowing" against my 24.  I have to get this off my chest before going any further -- I'm not complaining -- I'll take all the time that God gives me.  I just wish He'd tell me what He wants and then I could use Him as my excuse for doing only what the morning plan is.  I have to laugh when people ask me if I'm retired.  I tell them, if you're asking me if I'm constantly getting tired and then re-tired, "Yep! I'm retired." If you're asking me if I have stopped working, then the answer is "No, I have too much work to do.  I don't have time to retire."  I do have to tell you though, it sure is frustrating to go to bed every night after trying to finish something, anything, all day long and failing.  The only thing I do well is, get tired so that I sleep like a log all night long.  The good thing about all  this is that there is never a dull moment.  There are good moments, bad moments, elating moments, sad moments, loss of self-control moments, regaining of self-control moments, French moments, Spanish moments, Ilokano moments, Italian moments and believe it or not, even Latin moments.  I love the Latin moments.  When someone sends me something about the Catholic Mass in Latin, I hammer the sender with a response in Latin.  The sender invariably never responds.  Check-mate!  See, I have time for that.  So things can't be that bad, right?
Finally, I have to tell you what thought I have had about this for many years now.  I have come to believe that it is true because even though it is not original to me,  have been experiencing the truth of it, so I'll share it with you.  It goes like this.
The older we get the faster the time seems to pass.  It is proposed by the person who told me this many years ago, that this is so because we know that the ratio of time lived to time left to live is swinging inexorably toward the time left and away from the time gone by.  It's like trying to make the deadline, if you'll pardon the pun.  So, essentially, we're all trying to get it all done before they put us in a box, tie a ribbon around it and drop it off at the Pearly Gate.  
So, don't ask me if I'm retired.  I'm not, and I don't have time for it.  When I die, you'll know that I did what I wanted.  I won't get it all done, but that's OK, because all you're going to get from me is my unfinished business, guaranteed.
That's one way to be sure that none of you will cry at my funeral.

No comments:

Post a Comment