Tuesday, May 24, 2011

INFINITY

THE LAST WALTZ SHOULD LAST FOREVER. [Englebert Humperdink]
I listen to classical music a lot.  I have also lived in other countries and therefore have been exposed to many different sounds, many different beats and many different other things that make up music that I can't begin to name.  Today, all day, when I should have been thinking of something else, I was thinking about all the music that I have heard and the question kept returning with the insistence of incessant waves lapping at the shore.  In its simplest form, it is this:
When will the last piece of completely original music be composed?
Will anyone know that this is it?
Finally, does anyone care?
Are  the possibilities of music composition infinite?  I would think that they are.  Human beings keep coming and going.  What are the odds that the entire gamut of musical possibilities will ever be run?  This question kept me awake all day, until now.  I also brought me to other musings and other nostalgic thoughts.  The one that was the most insistent was the unwavering resolve that a certain group of engineers with whom I was working, from afar, of course, displayed in their desire to make an electronic device called a "chip carrier" that would have 128 legs sticking out of it so that more electrons could course through the computer chip housed inside the "carrier."
They could make carriers with 64 legs, called "leads" with regular and habitual success.  The technological barriers impeding the production of a carrier with twice as much capacity in the same physical size were massively daunting.  I remember the days when they were getting close to succeeding.  Sleepless nights were the norm.  Then, one day, BOOM! it happened.  Not only did it happen where we were working.  It happened in the world because we were the first to succeed.  That was more than 30 years ago.  These days, chip carriers have well over 300 leads and the information that they carry runs over surfaces hundreds of times smaller than when I was watching some of this happen.  Have we reached the finite end of the line in this area?  The scientists and engineers will never admit it.  
Infinity is a challenging concept.  It challenges us in our concept of space, time, mass, art, sport, speed, heat, cold and I don't know how many other areas of reality.  It's no wonder that I spend all day and half this night with this thought.  Now that I have written it down, I have reached my finite limit for the day.  I leave you in peace and I wonder what will keep me away tomorrow.
It looks like we will not find Frank.  One more try with the last lead that I have.  I hope it will work.  If not, I'll tell you the story.  This is a story that has to be told.
Ciao, bambini, un baccio finale, per oggi, poi, sonno.

No comments:

Post a Comment