Monday, May 30, 2011

DEATH AND I -- AND YOU TOO -- AND US ALL

Hey, don't let the title scare you.  We all practice how to do it every single night.  In fact the great oxymoronical question on earth is, "Did you sleep well?"  Huh?  How should I know?  I was out like a light.  Like ya know, I was out like a rock, dude.  Tell ya what, let me check it out tonight and if I remember anything tomorrow I'll beep, beep, blippity-blip you a quick text. Fair 'nuff, dude?
It's rather sure that I am not going to talk to you about my "deceasing" because I haven't done it yet, not for the eternal type stuff, anyway.  Not about yours either because you too are still around, if you're reading this anyway.  So this is our chance to talk about other people.  Especially people who are in absolutely no position to talk back.  Neat-O!
I and you all have noticed that when we get together we talk a lot about who is what age now.  Cousin Maggie wrote the other day and said that because she turned 71 in April she must be second after me, the eldest at 74 as of last March.  I looked it up.  I had to because Elna, the matriarchal guardian of all this valuable information, is no longer around to advise me about the order of birth of everyone we know as relatives.  No, Maggie, at 71 you are behind Denis Dion who was born in '39.  But, don't let that get you.  You could have done worse.  I can tell you that as far as I know, there has not been a person in the Eugene "Big Red" Dion/Ora Bachand family who ever reached 74.  One, that I know of, didn't get to 30. Sadly, it was not her fault.  Even I, who remember the event, do not know the entire story.  If I ever learn it, I'll tell you.  That is because the Dion family of which we are part had a way of keeping a lot of stuff to themselves.  Besides, at about 6 years old, who was going to tell me anything?  Then there is the father himself, the fiery Redhead who didn't make it to 40.  In his tracks, then, there are those, many, who never made it to 50.  There are a few who made it to the 60's, including Ora, but that was the ceiling for that generation.  Now, here we are, living in the shadow of that history.  Even the long lived Thibault and DeGray connections didn't do that much to stretch things out.  But it did help.  I'm going to try to list things down here.  I beg of you to help me if you see that I've missed the boat somewhere along the line.
Eugene Dion, the original Red Head, died at around 37
Cecile Gelinas, nee Dion was 25 -- She was my first experience with death and wakes, etc.  It '42 or '43, I think.
EFR Dion died at 47
Al Dion died at a younger age than that
Norma Dion was perhaps around 45 - 47
Grace DeGray, nee Dion was not yet 50, I don't think
Normand was over 50 but I doubt he made it to 60, maybe he did
Ed also was over 60, he was born before Don and died before Don
Don made it to somewhere in the mid 60's
That's the 8 of them.  I think that I had some wind of a still birth or two, but I am uncertain of that.
Many of these departures are of the here today, gone tomorrow  variety.  And it's not just Dion.  Thibaults and De Grays like that kind of escape.  Matter of fact, I sincerely pray every single day that God grant me that favor too.
Perhaps more than many families, we live our daily lives in the presence of the end.  I don't know how you all deal with this stark reality in our lives.  I personally have a way of looking at it with two eyes, the one making the other sure of the truth of what is seen.  Like the flowers of the fields and the birds of the air, the end of what we can touch and feel is sure to come.  That end though, in my life is the beginning of another, more glorious existence.  I am blessed in that I have no doubts about that.  I know that some are not so sure about what happens when you don't wake up the next morning.  I, for one am absolutely sure of what happens when you don't wake up the next morning -- You don't have to report to work, that's what.  That's enough to make a lot of people happy, isn't it?  Be honest now, how many of you go to bed saying, "Oh Lord, please wake me up so I can rush off to work tomorrow."???  Not me.  But I do go to bed with all kinds of plans to start work early because I have to get so much done every day.  But hey, like I said earlier, it could be that I'll never remember what happened anyway.  Maybe I get to the Pearly Gates and say, "Whoa, some retrofit they put on this place!"  Ol' Peter will say, "This is not that place...and by the way, what are you doing here?  It's too soon for you.  We're not done building the dog house yet."  So that's why I'm still here.  Heaven doesn't have a place for me yet.  Beelzebub doesn't want me because he hates my guts.  He's sure that I'm better at what he does than he is.  He's always after Lucifer not to pull the trigger yet because he's afraid to loose his job as number two coal stoker of the Inferno.  So, at this rate, all you 60 somethings out there, give it up.  As long as I keep getting up off the floor after falling out of bed in the morning, that job in Hell is mine.  At least for the time it's going to take Heaven to get a broom closet cleaned out for me.  
When that happens, you will not Cry at my Funeral because you'll know that I either got the place to stay in Heaven or the job I took away from Beelzbub.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Paul,
    Two things: Aunt Norma (as well as Jeannine) died at 39 years old, she did not reach 40. And, I absolutely love the picture you sent of the tree in the drop of water. What a great image.

    ReplyDelete