Thursday, May 26, 2011

NOW THIS IS SPOOKY -- I JUST THOUGHT OF THIS

Did I get this from Outer Space or Inner Space?
I went to the office today because I had to return my completed work to the headquarters of the transportation company.  It is about a 20 minute drive one way.  On the way, I was hit by a couple of thoughts.  The bad part about it is that I don't think that they are related, but they did come at me about 2 minutes apart.
Thought 1.  I was in moderate traffic.  Then, of a sudden, a $75,000.00 car swooped in front of me from the right.  I caught a glimpse of the middle aged male at the wheel.  I also then ran through my philosophy about only being able to take what the road gives you, and being happy with it.  At my age, that's easy to say.  At his age, you steal as much from the road as you can and still live to tell about it.  This happened while I was still 5 miles away from my destination.  I arrived at my destination with the glint of his rear bumper still in my windshield and him still trying to steal more road than the road was willing to cede.  I smiled and asked myself how many more years it would take for him to learn what I know.
Thought 2.  Yesterday I narrated the story of my first experience in a hospital where I underwent surgery to remove my tonsils.  Today, on the heels of the traffic folly it struck me, suddenly and not gently, that there is no one alive who has first-hand experience and objective or relative knowledge of this historical fact. The only other sibling who was alive at the time is my brother, Denis.  He would have been about 4, maybe even only three.  Our first cousin AJ (Tony) Phaneuf would be the only one close enough to our immediate family to have any recollection of it.  I know he gets these daily thoughts because he is on the mailing list, but he is silent on the matter.  So far.  Maybe he figures that silence is the better part of valor in this case. Maybe he really doesn't know.  It's OK to ask him.  See if he really knows or if he is making it up.  Just for kicks.  
Seriously, this is the very fabric of old age.  Tony remembers stuff that no one alive in the family can recall as personally lived fact.  He can relate historical realities, but none of the listeners can relate to them to the marrow except him.  This on the maternal side.  On the paternal side, I am that individual.  No wonder that when something happens with the Dion community, they like to have me around.  I often wonder why.  I think that I have just been enlightened about that.  We take it for granted that our children can't relate to our past like our other relatives can.  But relate to it, they do.  I have true stories, experiences of the degree of relationship that our children have with some of our personal past.  They have come to know our parents who were long deceased before our children were even born.  Just as we who are married have come to know the deceased members of our spouse's family though we never met them.  Strangely enough, we plow ahead without recognizing the treasure that this spiritual knowledge is for us.  We shrug off the occasional thought or "visitation" from these beloved souls as a moment of weakness or insanity.  We hardly ever spend some moments reflecting on the value that these non-historically present-to-us beings bring to making us who we are and who we are becoming.  
I therefore invite you all to join me in my moment of deep introspection and appreciate the true stories that you know about the people who have gone before you and who are connected to you through a first degree relationship, or even more, in some cases.  The lesson for me is to be more sensitive to the treasure that I carry around with me.  I should add more of my cousins to the mailing list, right?  When they get together, I should make a greater effort to be present to them.  Help me with this, and I'll do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment