Friday, May 6, 2011

LOOK WHAT I SAW, REALLY! ON THE ROAD. IN THE FAST LANE

I you have forgotten what this is, I supposed that I will have to tell you.  Oh, no.  It's written right there on the tailgate.  Except for the date. I know that it is 1947.  That's only 64 years ago.  Amazing.
While I was admiring the vehicle I remembered many things that have disappeared from the highways over the years.  Specifically I remembered several name plates that have disappeared from daily reality and found their place in the history books.  Hmmm, not even there, I guess.  Unless you think that the Internet Power Point Shows of old and "classic" cars "history books."  But here's what ran through my head for the few minutes that this Studebaker was in my line of sight.
First in line, De Soto.  Don't ask me why.  But that's what came first.
Next, Packard.  Big and black and loud.
Hudson...Hornets and Wasps that you stepped down into.
Nash, the 1949 "bathtub" came to mind.
The "coming or going" Studebaker came to mind only because I was looking at the word on the tailgate.
So that's what happens when you drive the highways of Southern California.

No comments:

Post a Comment