Friday, May 27, 2011

PLASTIC SURGERY -- SILICONE TOO

When I was a little boy, plastic was just breaking into the scene.  The expression "Plastic Surgery" really mystified me.  I could not figure out why or how plastic could find its way into the operating room, let alone how it could be a part of a cure for anything.  It was rather difficult for me and I could not come to an understanding of the reality behind the expression.  That pushed me to do what I usually did in this case, I asked my father what people got done to them when they had plastic surgery.  Was it that they got body parts out of plastic?   My father was not in a humorous mood nor in a very intellectual one.  He just simply said, "It's not that kind of plastic."  Huh?  
So I got older and life went on.  I got very much older, you know, I was in my early 20's and slowly but surely was introduced to some other meanings of "plastic."  It took me a long time to get to the bottom of the mystery.  It was happenstance that taught me the meaning that I was seeking.  I saw a picture of a failed plastic surgery procedure.  It was terrible,  So then I knew, plastic meant "flexible."  It was at about the same time that the slang term,
Plastic" came on the scene as meaning "Phony," "superficial," and "cheap."  Then I came to know just what plastic surgery really is.  It is an oxymoron to get plastic surgery as an enhancer because plastic surgery is just the opposite, it is a diminisher.  That least one is not a real word, but that's OK because you get the point.  If you really want to get the point, refer to the picture at the top of the page.

Notice that I haven't mentioned that other word in the title, "Silicone?"  That is enhancing but it's a matter for another time!

No comments:

Post a Comment