Sunday, September 18, 2011

WHAT A DIFFERENCE A DAY MAKES --- 86,400 SECONDS


Why wait a day?  What's with the "day" business?  What if Google had to wait a day before a difference happened?  Why hasn't "difference" been described?  Has anybody got the courage to say what a "difference" is?  Oh, OK smarty pants, I mean other than the answer to a subtraction calculation.  Besides, has it ever taken you a day to make a difference in subtraction?   I'd be willing to take a bet that if it did, you'd still be in second grade trying to figure out how to make a difference a lot fast than in a day.  Let me tell you how fast it takes Google to make a difference.  I'm going to put this question to Google right now: "Number of cities that have a "Hartford Street" in them".  DONE  --> I want you all to go outside right now and shout that Google is a fraud.  After five minutes of  search and switch and all that kind of stuff, it became clear that Google doesn't know the answer to my query.  It's got to be the Russian influence.  I'll bet that there isn't a single Hartford Street in all of Russia.  But I digress...
The real reason why I was asking the question about difference is that this thought sliced through the carapace of my coconut today.  I have taken about 1,100 photos over the last 15 days.  Besides, I have been given another 700+ from the technician who worked with and for us in France.  So, nearly 2,000 photos.  Many of them taken seconds apart.  All of them so similar, yet each one distinct and ineffable in its own existence.  Like the two featuring the Voice from the Kitchen, taken not five seconds apart.  Those of you who may know a thing or two about photography know that 5 seconds is like waiting the proverbial 24 hours.   (A day, right?)  In those two pictures, some of the discrepancies are gross, others are quite fine and almost subtle, but discernible just the same.  It turns out that mother nature has her quick turns just like her children.  I am mentioning this because as we go through life, we rarely stop to think about this phenomenon.  We rarely stop to think that from one fraction of a second to the next there are millions of distinct changes that have taken place.  In the past there were deep thinkers who accepted this as being the truth.  Intellectually they had come to know that there is almost no measurable time between one state of being and the following one, in the same entity.  (The phenomenon of flowing water was the basis for their comparison.  Like "Pantha Rhe) In this day and age we grow up with "instantaneous" change.  We don't even act surprised when Google tells us that it collected 752,376 responses to our query in .0003 seconds.  The only time we would be affected is if the measure increased to .0006 seconds.  Then we would get nervous and start doing all kinds of loopy things to make our computer go faster.  
I therefore have decided to just live with it.  If things really ever slow down, I'll be glad.  It will give me the opportunity to not be late for my funeral.  That will be good.  You can't cry at a guy's funeral if he gets there on time, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment