Wednesday, April 6, 2011

TOTAL LOSS

How many of these have you walked away from?  Don't be afraid to admit it.  If you come clean, you'll get to know how many I had.  Of course,you know that I'm going to tell you anyway.  Just relax, sit back and listen to my story.  It's not really too bad.  I was thinking about this today and I really do not know why.  There was no outside stimulus to excite me into flowing my mind one way or the other.  So, without provocation I started to think about the cars that we in the family have returned to the scrap heap.  I got to thinking about the many times that it has happened to me and I can't believe that it was so many.  There was one stretch in my life when I got worried about my ability to concentrate and after the third total loss event in four years, I decided to seek professional help about my mental abilities.  Those of you who know me can surmise that I saw the professional one time.  During that one time I decided that I was a lot more competent to take care of my mental equipment than this soppy individual.  I save the insurance company a lot of money on that one.  I still think that something in the space of about five years there, stuff was not firing right in the belfry and all of a sudden, wham, iron was flying all over the place.  Through it all, I wrecked five cars, only one of which was anywhere near valuable.  It was only three years old, and a small one.  I was coming back home from work at about 12:30 midnight when in an intersection just 200 yards away from home I smacked into a huge Yukon, head-on.  I wasn't wearing my seat belt and at 35 mph I came out of it without a scratch.
What I did get out of it was enough money to buy a nice Honda Civic Hybrid with enough left over to get number one son a down payment and better loan interest on a brand new car as well.  
Despite the many cars that I have recycled, I have been blessed in that no one was ever hurt and in the end things went well.  It is something that impresses me, this impersonal, wreck a car and get a better one attitude.  There has to be a lesson there about our way of life.  Be that as it may, all's well and our Honda is now going on 7 years and at 136,000 miles, we still like it a lot.  And I haven't hit anyone in all that time.

1 comment:

  1. I am publishing this comment with permission. This is a dear saintly friend of ours with a great Pacific Islander sense of Lava-Lava humor.
    I quote:
    "Can we say most mishaps not concieved in the heart can turn into good in the end. Small rules we think we can overlook and and cheat death. Heee.
    That is why I I am driving what I drive now. I had the same experience. I just went to sleep. Sugar thing. I prayed for safety, St Michaels and all the saints
    known to man, I had my seat belt on. Insurance paid 5000 to the shop that fixed the pick up. We got nothing and I was demoted driving new cars since then. Our insurance rate went up some. I am now driving a should be Post Mortem if thats how you say it. I cheated death by a couple of inches. I went over a yeald sign on the side of the road into a field on Alessandro by Lasselle. The steel rod holding the sign pearced the passenger seat and came out 2 feet high. If it came through the driver sit, I would have been gone. Different favors. I hit no one. Thank God I veered to the right, not left to the uncoming traffic. I shudder even today to think of the might have consequences. St Michael was there alright I had no doubt and the unnamed saints I invoked. The underworld was there too. They lost.

    ReplyDelete