Saturday, April 23, 2011

Good Friday -- As in Good Bye

It is Good Friday.  I spend most of my mental picture day in Jerusalem.  You can find a lot of my spirituality about this in a much more developed blog entitled, "No Crying at my Funeral."
Today we were back at the church near our home in San Diego, Holy Family.  Once again we were in a crowd of people who represent many different corners of the planet.  ["Corners" on a round ball?]  I was sitting  there during the veneration of the Cross and watching all these people stream by and I couldn't help thinking, "How did Jesus get to all these people from a place no larger than New Jersey?  I tell you, it is impressive.  Just off the top of my head, I identified Mexico, Peru, Argentina, Brasil, San Salvador, Portugal, Italy, France, Spain, Japan, Philippines (Of course!),  Thailand, Laos, Viet Nam (Of course), Ethiopia, Somalia, Congo, Cuba and that most foreign of all Latin "corners" of the Northern Hemisphere, Puerto Rico!  Everyone of one mind and one "Body."  Everyone.  It is quite a spiritual experience to witness the Unity of the Church unfold before your very eyes.  It was a great afternoon.
The other day someone asked me why we say "Good" Friday.  In other languages we say "Holy" Friday, but in English we have the word "good."
It is a left-over from older English where Good and God were pretty much on equal footing for pronunciation, I guess.  We have "good bye" for "God be with you."  So we have Good Friday for "God Friday" which makes it a very holy day indeed.


Tomorrow we talk about cancer.  It's not what you think it will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment