Friday, March 30, 2012

LOSS OF CHARACTER ?

Let them cant about decorum, Who have characters to lose!
Robert Burns

http://www.gsu.edu/magazine/770.html
Don't you just love the quaint English of the Great Scot, Bobby Burns?  I just know that my Scottish friend is going to call me when he sees this and compliment me about finally waking up to real culture and touting my appreciation of the Great Poet.  Note Well:  Always in Capital Letters when speaking of the Great One.
There has really been a change in the social comportment of people. It is quite visible here in California where even elderly people are regularly addressed by their first names by the younger, up and coming set.  Even I fall into the category of those who say, "My father gave me the name Paul because he wanted me to live up to it. So, "Paul" it is no matter how old you are and no matter how old I am.  There are some people who are always careful to call me sir. [Few, very few!] Then there are many more who call me "Senor" out of a very different cultural background.  In both instances, though, I find it more difficult to live up to the neutral appellation than to the command from on high, "Paul." 
I am a very direct person.  I am sometimes very close to the famous character by the French Classical comedy author, Moliere.  The Misanthrope was named Alceste.  I could tell you the whole story, but it is all wrapped up the the pithy Scottish quote that you see above.  Alceste was chasing a girl, but he didn't think that decorum was a human virtue. So he had a big problem.  I have to admit that I sometimes fall into that mode too and sometimes fall into crass "Truth Talk."  The Voice from the Kitchen hates it.  So we have "fun" with it from time to time.  Sad that she doesn't know Moliere.  
The second part of Bobby's quote is the one that I guess I could really take to heart.  Do I, at my young age, still have enough character left to worry about misplacing the little bit that is still there?  I'll leave that up to you to decide?  How's that for a thought?  

No comments:

Post a Comment