Tuesday, March 13, 2012

THE BARRIO CHAMPION OF "PUYOT-PUYOT"

I should be in bed but something happened tonight that I cannot let go. It all started when the Voice from the Kitchen and I were looking for a rubber band. Believe it or not, we do not have a single one in the house.  When we came to that realization, we both laughed and wondered how far we had both come from the days when there were "tons"of rubber bands in the house and around our wrists.  She told me the story of when she was a very little girl, less than 9 years old, she had a very long chain of rubber bands that she had won in the village-wide rivalry of a game called puyot-puyot. (POY-YOOT'-POY-YOOT')  It means "blow-blow" like you do when you want to blow out a birthday cake candle.  It an interesting little game in which each player places a rubber band on the table and then they blow on the rubber band to see who can "cover" the other's rubber band.  Sounds exciting, right.  I'm sure that it can be if you're 8 years old and doing a lot of winning.  So Belle was really good at this, so she says.  At this point, why would she embellish that fact?
But then this made me think of another thought.  When I was growing up and MJT Dion would tell stories about her husband's family, I would often ask myself how come she knew so much about them.  I would wonder why EFR Dion had not told the story first.  Yet, now here I am telling a story about Belle's childhood.  It took me 35 years to hear it.  Oh well, I guess when you come from such a small, ranch land village, the stories that would interest someone from the first world must be few and far between.  But the fact is, there are quite a lot of stimulating things for children that go on in those places.
So there you go.  I told you a story that was told to me.  I like to brag about her.  After all, I've never been the champion of anything, not even Puyot-Puyot!

No comments:

Post a Comment