Friday, March 2, 2012

DEATH IS A DISRUPTION

God pours life into death and death into life without a drop being spilled.  ~Author Unknown


I present this quote because it brings me back to the ideas and thoughts that I had  when I reflected on the killing of Osama bin Laden.  Back then, I dared to say that I thought it would have been better had he been taken alive.  I did get some feedback on this, but all of you are so civil that the comments were polite and well framed.  I thought of this last night when the news came that a certain Andrew Breitbart had died suddenly and unexpectedly. This fellow was not a well-liked individual.  He was an in-your-face conservative activist who actually ruined quite a few lives with his doctored videos.  Many would say, ingeniously edited video reporting.  No matter what, he was a one man wrecking machine and not too many would deny that.  When I heard the news, I was saddened.  I am not going to dwell on this for too many words, but I do want to reflect on it because I do counsel my friends not to cry at my funeral.  I know that those who dislike me, will not cry, so I invite my friends to add to the confusion by not crying.  Now, back to Andrew.
I was sad because he was only 43 or so.  That is really young.  The people around him are really being disrupted in their lives.  This is certainly a huge burden to bear.  
Further, at my age I appreciate the fact that there is a lot to do in life.  I appreciate the fact that as you get older, time flies by more quickly and it becomes more difficult to meet the objectives that you set for yourself.
There's more.  At my age, and being a person of Faith in God, I get to thank God every day, not because I am still alive, but because it is another moment when He shows me that He trusts me a little bit more to get something else done for Him.  I have to think that way because I am also aware of the Scripture that says, "If, as it seemed to us, they suffered punishment, their hope was rich with immortality;  slight was their correction, great will be their blessings.  God was putting them to the test and has proved them worthy to be with Him." (Wisdom 3; 4-5)
In this passage, we are told that those who die, die in God's time, not in human time, no matter how old we are.  

It is said that Mr. Breitbart died of natural causes.  He will be remembered but not in the same way that Mr. bin Laden will be remembered.  In bin Laden's case, it would almost seem as though we humans encroached on God's time and hurried it to suit our own desires.  In fact, when we hear some of the language being used by those who were instrumental in bringing about the death of bin Laden, we hear the ring of power.  We hear the ring of authority over the very destiny of human life.  I say that this attitude does not sit well with me.

In Andrew Breitbart's case, if he did die of natural causes, [autopsy reports are still pending] the survivors, we, will be left to deal with our feelings in a very different and more peaceful atmosphere.  If we discover that foul play was the cause of the demise, we will be left with a more difficult set of emotions to deal with.  

I must say that I feel disturbed and my spirit gets disrupted every time I 
observe the ease with which a certain segment of the population of this country [and the world too] opts for death rather than life.  I therefore leave you with my thoughts.  If you want to revisit my thoughts about Osama bin Laden, you can click here.
Tomorrow will be a happier day.  I promise.


1 comment:

  1. I told you 'murder 1 and the whole world was its witness. I remember an article I read in the past, might have been a Reader Digest. It was regarding Cardinal Mindszenty who was imprisoned in China. The West wanted to assasinate the The President or was he an emperor or something. Was it Mao Tsetung or something. Anyway the Pope made a comment, "What's the rush"? He is definitely going to die someday. Your article brought that incident back and I like the way you define death. You are right, The realm of time in the natural ends, the eternity the supernatural begins and God holds the key to both world. It is scary that we are still trying to grasp at that power. By the way I am an Alumni
    of Mindszenty High School in Palau. During my time it was up only to 9th. We had to go abroad to finish our highschool. It was named after that Cardinal
    imprisoned in China at the time. A Jesuit.
    Justa Kubarii

    ReplyDelete