Tuesday, March 27, 2012

INTERNET HONESTY

Home page of www.isotranslations.com
Those of you who have been around a while remember the funny stories I told about the shenanigans that are part and
 parcel of the jobs which are offered on the Internet.                                                                                                                    
I went into some detail about phony checks that I had received.  I received sly advances from a person whose name was definitely female who, when I blew the cover off what she had tried to do to me, figured that putting an amorous move on me would make me forget the "foreplay."  Once I learned the details of how the advances went, I started to have some fun of my own.  After all, turnabout is fair play.  The latest one turns out to be from Gmail and it is a warning that if you don't provide all your private information, your account will be closed in 48 hours.  Of course that's a dead give away.  Gmail does not have to know my age and the color of my hair and other particulars too ridiculous to mention.  It has been a long and twisting road.  It has been an interesting six months or so.  
Just before Christmas I stumbled on the name of the company whose home page advert heads this page.  I came to know the name through, believe it or not, an internet job search company.  Yes, there are tons of them.  They all look pretty much alike.  They're like twins, though.  After a while you learn to distinguish the honest ones from the sharks.  I actually found two honest ones.  One of them proposed this ISO Translations company to me.  I did my due diligence, contacted ISO, completed the mandatory skills tests and was accepted. 


Now, Paul, don't get excited.  this has happened to you before, remember?   However, this time I had a better feeling.  For one thing, the language of the correspondences was impeccable English.  American English, no less.  There was a true air of professionalism about it.  I decided to go to Google to see what I could find.  I went.  What I found was the clincher.  
There, right before my very eyes was the incontrovertible proof of the righteousness of this organization.  Page after page of vitriolic insults about the obscenely low rates that they pay.  WOW!  They pay!  They not only exist, they piss people off, just like any good employer would do.  I knew that I had found a real live one.  Truth to tell, I now know some other things about ISO.
1. They do have low rates.  They do pay.  I now know.
2. They go by Greenwich Mean Time schedules.  In California that is a hole of 9 hours behind.  
3. Mostly the jobs are allocated on a first come, first assigned basis.  Try that from a nine hour deficit.
4. They have a lot of work.
5. They are polite and attentive to their resources.
6. They have a neat state-of-the art communications system online.
7. My philosophy seems to be theirs too.  You know the one I'm talking about.  Offer to do the work that no one else wants and you'll always be busy.  Example:  The other night I jumped on a job that was all of about 125 words.  My mind is, if a huge company can accept a thimble full of work in the middle of the night, I had better be ready, willing and happy to take it too.  
The late George Woodworth would say, "It's all honest work."
MJT Dion would say, "The money's all green."  Really.  No matter where you find it, nor how much of it there is.
8. The Voice from the Kitchen says, so it is only  0.77 of a Euro.
Get enough of them and it will be 77.00 and then you'll be happy.
Don't you just hate that kind of talk?
9. Notice that they pay in Euros.  For once the exchange rate is in my favor. 1.00 Euro = $1.33.  
So there you are.  You now know that there is some honesty out there.  It took a long time to find it, but I did.  
Now I have to go.  I have some proof reading to do.  




No comments:

Post a Comment