Saturday, February 4, 2012

WISDOM FROM THE EAST

The flowers are wisteria
INTRODUCTION
I have never lived in Japan.  Not physically.  I have have carried it in my heart and soul for many, many years now.  It all started when I took my first secular position in my adult life.  I was hired by Kyocera International [It's name back then].  This was a Japanese company founded in 1959 by Kazuo Inamori in Kyoto, Japan.  The company laid down its manufacturing roots in San Diego in the late 1960's/early 70's.  When I started to work for the company, Mr. Rio Imamura was the Director of Administrative Services.  Mr. George Woodworth was the "Personnel Manager."  [Pre-HR days]  George and I swiftly forged a lasting fraternal love relationship.  It was quite a couple.  He an Engine Room mechanic in the Navy and I a Missionary.  He had never lived in an off-shore country.  I had lived in Italy and the Philippines for fifteen years before landing on Mr. Inamori's doorstep.
You're perhaps going to think that this is strange but I guarantee you that it is true.  George had graduated from the Jesuit University in Milwaukee, Marquette and I had graduated from St. Thomas Pontifical University in Rome, Italy.  Here we were side by side in a very traditional, conservatively managed Japanese company.  The personality of the company was so spiritual, you could feel it.  Even with our religious institution backgrounds, and my long time international experience, George and I made tons of cultural errors.  Along the way, the Japanese leadership showed enormous patience and forbearance.  They were mostly gentle and generous.  Mr. Imamura was our main direct contact.  His English was practically flawless and his patience endless.  Slowly George and I acculturated and became very comfortable in our new surroundings.  Our paths diverged after five years.  This is one of two mistakes for which the Voice from the Kitchen [My Dear Belle] has never been able to quite forgive me.
Lately, thanks to the Internet, George, Mr. Imamura and I have come closer together once again.  I read every word of  http://riosloggers-riodan.blogspot.com and Mr. Imamura reads "365 Thoughts..."  and sometimes when he likes it, he forwards it to our other mutual friends.

THE POINT FROM THE NORI SNACK
This is a live link to yesterday's post

EHOU MAKI
Yesterday I wrote about the seaweed snack that our children loved so much as they were growing up.  I am happy to share Mr. Imamura's comment with you.  It is an insight into the spiritual connection that we all wish would exist among all the peoples of the earth.  It is my hope that you will take the opportunity to click on the link that is included in the comment.  


Paul, read your Japanese Sushi Roll article. 

February 2 - the coldest day of the year - per weather forecast.
The Japanese archipelago is frozen. Even southern Japan below zero in centigrade.
Just happens the end of the winter and spring starts from tomorrow per lunar calendar.

February 3 - 
Most of the Japanese eat long long Sushi Roll called  "Yahoo", oh no, called "E-haw". 
Sounds similar to Yahoo. 
I didn't know this tradition until I came home.  Northern tradition before perhaps but now seems prevailing all over Japan.  Someone's commercials.  I don't care much.
See the explanation at:
<http://www.justhungry.com/ehou-maki-lucky-long-sushi-roll-setsubun-no-hi>

Reminder.  Direction of eating.  This year you should eat facing North-North West to be a lucky person. 

Good luck, Paul.  

rio 






1 comment:

  1. I visited rio's blog. Thanks for sharing your friend. It is a beautiful thing to have friends that distance and time is not a barrier to capture the earlier relationship and appreciation once established.

    ReplyDelete