Tuesday, February 14, 2012

WHA' D'YOU SAY AGAIN?

This thought came to me just now.  It is so recent that it is impossible for me to forget it and regret not writing about it.  It has nothing to do about the ability to hear...not really, but more about that later.
This is about what husbands and wives talk about as they go through life.  It struck me to write to you about it because both of us have a tendency to be rather philosophical [and theological] about life.  We also have a tendency to get rather animated.  This is a euphemism for LOUD.  Back in the day, when this would happen our two young children would get nervous and invariably ask, "Are you getting divorced?"  That would generally make us laugh and we would calm down.  We would try to explain in age appropriate language what it was that we were discussing.  They are no longer around.  But we still  have these moments of intellectual and emotional exchange.  Tonight was one of those times. Ready?  Good.  Here goes.
A "talking head" was reporting that there are some legislators in some august law-making bodies in the fruited plain who are introducing bills that define the human person's existence as beginning from the instant of conception.  Whenever I hear this, I generally find myself exploding into an expletive or two, generally aimed at the pixilated, mercenary buffoon generating the moronic sounds emanating from the electronic apparatus.  I have made the promise to never utter those kinds of phonemes on this site.  Just use your imagination.  That is what started the polite interchange between Wife and me.  It was rather sedate once I heard her sweet voice asking for some direction to the roots of my explosion.  We proceeded to have an exchange about the definition of abortion, the difference between a human being and a person, the point in time when conception results in the existence of a human being, the difference between contraception and abortion and the convoluted relationship that these definitions have with the practical reality of life.  This reality carries with it some interesting elements, as you know.  There is the element of common morality, religiously defined morality, the weak, nearly non-existence of morality in civil law, the laws of biology, chemistry, physiology and a few more that remain too esoteric for us two to grasp.  At the end of the conversation, neither one of us knew any more about the beginning of the existence of a human being/person than we did at the beginning of the interlocutory, but we had different opinions about what we thought we knew.  I don't know whether or not that is intellectual progress, but I do know that it did make us feel better about the topic and about one another.  So, I guess that on the whole, we did learn something.  Not about the topic at hand, but at least about one another.  That's quite amazing in itself.  Thirty-five years plus of blissful matrimony and still learning something about her.  That's a ding in my intellectual arrogance.  Just another thing that I am going to have to learn to deal with.  
A bunch of other thoughts have begun to invade my frontal lobe, so I'm going to let you go because I have to save something up for the big day that's fast approaching.
Peace, from a real ineffable human being = person.

1 comment:

  1. Hey ineffable human being=person,
    Glad to know that our discussion brought you some consolation. What a discussion on a Valentine's night.
    Glad that we still love each other very much.
    The other real ineffable human being=person.

    ReplyDelete