Tuesday, February 7, 2012

HARDER I WORK, BEHINDER I GET...YEP!







This chair is emptier than the one below.
Did you ever think that someone would dare to talk like that?  I never did, but then when I heard it, I thought that it was humorous.  Not only that.  I also remembered something that I had learned from the nuns in the early grades... before grade four, I am sure.  She said that there are some adjectives and adverbs that can not be properly used in any other form than the absolute.  She gave us some examples, but you don't expect me to remember things to that level of detail, do you?  I am willing to think that full, empty, left, right, top, bottom, level were perhaps among the ones that she proposed.  So last night when I heard a young University graduate [BA, English] give us directions by saying, "If there is a chair next to you that is really empty, please move into it to make more space."  Wow!  I knew I had my article for tonight ready made.  Maybe I was thinking "readier" made.  I can't remember.  In fact I can't bring myself to remember much of anything these days.  I think it is because my grey matter synapses are more short-circuited than ever.  
The other thing I thought about was the oxymoron that I have mentioned here before now about the schools who allow teachers to grant A+ to students.  Did I mention that I was a lecturer who got into a discussion with the director of the program because I refused to give students A+?  It was the lastest discussion we had about that topic.  I like to think that she gave me an F+ for my overly logical logical arguments against the A+ practice.  Or maybe I got the F+ because I categorized that behavior as being the quintessentialest buffoonery I had ever encountered.  That was more than 25 years ago.  Ms Clown is still there and I am not.  So, whose the buffoon?  
Back to the BA, English, young man.  We all knew that he was joking.  Really, we did.  We all chuckled and made him happy by showing him that we had "got" the joke.  The lady to my left said, also with a smile, "If it were any other time he would have said "unoccupied chair."   I said, "Maybe, except he doesn't have a beard."  We both got a laugh out of our sharp witted exchange.  We then sat still and listened intently to the main speaker of the evening.  What I liked about him was that there would be no discussion about his being Mr. A+ for his effort.  Maybe I should write him a thank-you note for keeping me out of trouble thanks to his mediocre presentation.  Now this article is more finished that it would have been three sentences ago...and completer that it would have been 5 sentences ago.  I think x(:-)-[--<  Cute little girl, eh?

1 comment:

  1. I wonder if it was half occupied. As I remember from many moons ago, we would share one chair to be nice, ergo, half of my bottom is occupying the half surface of the chair.

    ReplyDelete