Wednesday, October 5, 2011

RAIN IN A BOX -- NO KIDDING

"I wish I could put some of this beautiful rain in a box and bring some home with me."  Words that at some time or other anyone who lives in Southern California will utter when visiting some other part of the world where it actually rains now and then.  Although the words are an expression of true desire, they are uttered in jest and with no real hope that the reality could ever come to be.  Be honest now, all you SoCal denizens.  You know that you've said this at least once in your life.  You also know that when you get company from some of these other parts and you have planned a picnic six months in advance of their arrival, you just know that it is NOT going to rain.  I know.  It happened to me in 1955. I visited my relatives and they had all these outdoors events planned and they just knew that it would not rain.  I would get up every single morning just knowing that I would be able to catch them with their totally unreal anticipation blown to smithereens by a vicious rainfall.  Never happened.  You can tell that I have never forgotten the experience.  I get to live it often with my brother and sister-in-law who have recently arrived from a rather rainy country, the Philippines.  So why am I gloating at this?  Easy.  I and the sweet Voice from the Kitchen put some rain in a box.  Brought it home from Massachusetts and watched it rain in Southern California for a whole day beginning about six hours after touchdown in SoCal.  No kidding.  We spent some 6 days in Massachusetts and watched it rain for nearly 4 of them.  It was magnificent.  Belle and I would look out the window with a glint in our eyes and a smile on our lips because it was so beautifully lush and luxuriant outside because of the abundant rain.  The air was crisp, comfortable and oh, so clean.  We repeatedly wished we could bring some of it home.  So we did.  One whole day of rain in early October in Southern California.  So you all, keep that in mind.  When you want rain, talk to us.  We'll order some from Massachusetts and bring it in for gardens, air filtering, road washing and stuff like that.  (;-)=[=<

No comments:

Post a Comment