Monday, October 17, 2011

DO WE SAY THIS IN ENGLISH?

How much more can an old guy learn?  I have been spending a lot of time with translations these days for some fairly serious reasons.  None of them lucrative, by the way.  Today I was plugging  along plagiarizing some Portuguese stuff from my friends (real friends, no joke) when I ran into this saying:
"Felicidade compartilhada, alegria dobrada." Happiness shared, double joy."
I thought, "Hey, that's pretty neat."  I figured that I would wonder about it for a few moments, move on and forget that I ever even came into contact with such a thought.  I have too many of them to keep track of anyway, so why clutter up the attic any more than what it is already.  So I move on because I have to satisfy an obligation that I had scheduled some time in the past.  Well, wouldn't you know, that during the two hours that I was doing what I had to do at the place where I was, someone, while talking to someone else said the exact same thing in English that I had put aside as being some strange Brazilian soccer thing!  [It's true.  I am not making this up.]  More trouble up stairs.  Now I'm getting nervous.  My arrogance is taking a hit, because I'm supposed to know this stuff.  Or so I am convinced, anyway.  At the time of this incident, I surround the corner of my brain where the crime occurred with the yellow "crime scene" tape and tell myself that I have to investigate this thought that had sneaked into my mind from Brazil without showing me a passport.  
I come home, work a few things, check the clock and decide that I can afford a short night and decide that I am going to confess openly that I didn't know something.  Well, I might as well get a picture, right?  So I go knock on Mr. Google's door and what do I find?  You got it.  Perhaps the most famously, most notoriously known and owned Kangi symbol in the world.  I have fallen into the pictograph of the never ending transcendental concept of mutuality of shared happiness in Feng Shui.  It was all over my screen.  In many hundreds of artistic expressions.  I can't tell you how many times I had to remind myself that 24 hour days are just not in my playbook any more.  So I cut it short and came up with what you see here.   I am duly humbled, but by the same token happy that I have learned something that will continue to contribute to the dynamics of continually trying to acquire perfection of  my intellectual and emotional being.  Quite an experience for an old guy.  Now that I have shared the joy with you, we're both so happy that you will not have the slightest temptation to cry at my funeral.

No comments:

Post a Comment