Monday, October 31, 2011

HOW DO YOU SAY: "TO FUNCTION PROPERLY?"

This is rather humorous.  You can't see it because you are reading the finished product.  The words of this composition are underlined in red as if they are misspelled.  That is because I have just finished writing a piece in French.  Before I started doing that, I pressed the correct button on the computer to tell it that I wanted French.  I wrote everything in French that I wanted to, but every single word was underlined in red, because the computer refused to see French, despite my best efforts.
NOW, I have reclicked to bring the computer back to English, and all the words are still underlined in red.  But, of course you can't see it because you are not as intimate with my computer as I am...Good thing too.


Why all of this rigamarole about my silly computer and what does it have to do with the title above?  This is what it has to do.  How many ways do you know how to say that a tool is functioning properly or not?  Go ahead, take a few seconds and ask yourself the question.  Ready?  OK.  Let's do English first, OK?
So: -- Let's be positive, that way we can keep smiling :-)  It works;  it runs; it's fine;  Oh, it functions.
Let's try French, shall we?  It goes;  it walks;  there it is;  it functions.
Want a little Italian?  It leaves;  it goes;  it walks; all good;  it functions.
Spanish?  It goes;  it leaves;  it walks; it catches; it functions.


You know what?  Through all these insults and twists and turns, my computer still has not recognized that the language that I am writing in is English.  So this thing doesn't work, it doesn't work, it sure isn't running. Run?  hell, it doesn't even walk.  I think it goes, because I think that it has gone somewhere and has forgotten how to find its way back.  


At this point, I am glad for all of you beautiful monolingual people.  You only have to put up with one intellect and one emotion.  You see what I have to go through?  I have all these realities that I have to battle  every single day.  When things go well, I have to put up with a barrage of synonyms and I get so buried that I don't know where I am.  When things go awry like they are now, I try to be humorous about it so that I don't go berserk with anger and frustration.  By the Way, my computer still has not yet been sensitive to my needs and is still underlining every single syllable in red.  If I were a bazzillionnaire, I'd throw it through a window and go get a more human one in the morning.  But I am not, so I won't.
I wonder what language it will find for me to make me feel better in the morning.
I am just super glad that I don't ever have to ask it to write in Polish or Hebrew or some such other unfamiliar language.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Paul,
    Your PC worked for me in that your post gave me a big laugh to start my day. I put myself in your place and tried to see all the stuff that did not "work" the way it should.
    Thanks for making my day start with a smile.
    Patrick

    ReplyDelete