Wednesday, October 26, 2011

HE'S NOT MY BROTHER -- HE'S JUST HEAVY!

Quick! How many of you get the joke?
I got this in email today from an old fart friend of mine who thinks that he can send me anything that he thinks was in vogue when Moby Dick was still a guppy in a fish bowl.   The title of this blog post is a direct quote of the language that he used as the caption of the picture you see here.   So, do you get the joke?
Instead of my going through the entire story, let me just send you to Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/He_Ain't_Heavy,_He's_My_Brother
where the first few lines will be all you have to read to find out all you will ever need to know about the saying.  That's where you will also find out that the sentence uses a paraprosdokian to make the point.
I just want to add one thing to the information that is presented in Wikipedia.  Boys Town is located in Omaha, Nebraska and, as far as I know, is still in operation and is still quite well known, if not still "famous."  Here is the picture from which the above joke was taken.
"He ain't heavy, Father, he's m' brother"

No comments:

Post a Comment