Friday, October 28, 2011

CARTOON CHARACTERS I REMEMBER AND YOU DON'T

This came to me today.  Actually,"Henry" came to me first.  Here he is.  This child did not talk.  Yet there was a a lot of humor in this strip.  I don't know how he did it, but the author provided daily material seven days per week.  The Sunday strip was 8 panels while the daily strip was four.  Henry was one of my favorites.





Below is Nancy.  Not one of my favorites, but I always read it.  She too was presented seven days per week and sometimes her friend "Sluggo" was with her and sometimes not.  They were inseparable and they both enjoyed ice cream cones.  She, vanilla and he, strawberry.  Nancy was not filled with tricky dialogue, but was a lot more talkative than Henry who had 0% "talk."









Do you remember these two brats?  Now they are a real pair.  They talked with a thick German Accent and they were forever playing trick and practical jokes on their uncle the sailor.  I never missed these guys.  They were my dead on favorites.  I still remember the old sailor's exclamation after falling for a practical joke that he had been caught by,  "Gott in Himmel!"





Joe Palooka was no "Palooka."  He was the "REAL thing."  I, and everybody else loved Joe Palooka.  Honest, kind, clean living, hard working and a winner every time, in every way.

He made a real man out of the simple Simon neighborhood "mobile fast snack" salesman, Humphrey Pennyworth...

That's my trip down memory lane for today.  It came to me as I was driving down to San Diego for a weekend rest.




I know that same of you will relate.  Enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. Patrick Beauregard

    I think the two trickster kids were called the Katzanjammer kids and Papa Katzanjammer was always suffering with "gout" on one of his feet. Naturally the two kids always took advantage of poor papa being laid up.
    I too always read every one of those comic strip characters and I find today the quality of comic strips has dropped to a very low 50% in quality from the old days.
    Thanks for the memories. Patrick from Highland but originally from South Hadley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul:
    It doesn't happen often that you can have things two ways. I Googled both "katzenjammeer"and "Katzanjammer" and got the same results.
    Hurray, Patrick, we're both on the right side of the street.
    By the way, I am like the Old Man Katzenjammer, I have moments when i have some severe gout. I'm glad that my two tricksters are now grown.

    ReplyDelete