Wednesday, December 8, 2010

RETIREMENT IS BEING TOO BUSY TO HOLD A REAL JOB

If there's one question I hate, it is, "So how's retirement?"  To that I always give the interlocutor my most venomous dose of sass: "Retirement is for lazy people."  Retirement is one of the great gifts that human beings have and the greatest opportunity of all to misuse the best thing that we have.  It is truly marvelous to observe those who are eighty and who are scurrying around helping the old people who are sick and infirm at sixty-five.  My maternal grandmother was one of those and she did it in the deep of Winter, too.  Look around.  See what I mean?  They're all over.  I could give you a ton of examples, but I figure that since this is my thought for the day and this is MY blog, I am the example.  I know that I am a naturally lazy lout.  I know that, because I dodged work by spending oh, so many years in school.  I had to, otherwise I'd a been drafted.  Now, sure as shootin' (like that play on words?) I didn't want that.  So school it was.  Then of course I went to live in countries where a siesta was "de rigueur", so I never missed a single one.  But I did make a mistake once, and that meant that I had to go to work.  Bad news.  I never did get over it.  So, here I am, old, with a minimum wage part time (100 hours @ month) job as a billing clerk, a no wage Theology Editor's job for an Internet Magazine, a no wage job as a Bible teacher, a once a year $2,000.00 "emolument" for six months of pulling my tongue out to organize and pull off a catechism symposium for adults that lasts a whole week.  I'm a no wage writer of employee manuals for a start up company, a no wage job as a proof reader for my wife's weekly contribution to the Church Bulletin, a no wage job of keeping track of her work hours so that I can complete her time card on the laptop, a no wage dish washer and dryer and so many more things that it is impossible to continue without wearing my fingers to the bone.
Now, If I were not "retired" I would have time to hold a decent 65 hour a week senior manager's job somewhere for some real money.
Know what?  After that last sentence, I think it is more fun being retired!

No comments:

Post a Comment