Saturday, December 11, 2010

FAKE CHRISTMAS TREES, YUK!

I have these thoughts that have been with me for year and years.  This is one of them.  Thoughts, that is, not years.  Since I was a young person and since artificial Christmas trees became a big item, I have taken a  negative stance about them.  They have always seemed to me to be an insult to the One for whom they are brought into our lives to begin with. I remember the early days of my being an altar boy.  At one of our instructional meetings, we were told that all the candles used in church had to be of beeswax.  We were also told that flowers for use in the church had to be natural.  We were told that there should be no radios or "Victrolas" guiding the prayers or the singing of the priest and the congregation.  We were told that, because what went into God's house should be purely natural.
Silly as it may seem, that  teaching rang a bell with me.  It reminded me that the flowers that I picked and brought to my mother were real.  They were dandelions, true enough, but they were natural.  At the tender age that I heard the development of the thought that it's only worthy of being given as a gift if it is real, I agreed with it and I haven't forgotten it since.
It only LOOKS fake
There have been times when the "tree" that we sat around at Christmas time was not a nice, aromatic Canadian Pine.  No siree! There were times when it was a simple, struggling coffee tree that we knew had to go anyway.  So, scraggly as may have been, it was real, it was Christmas and we needed a tree.  So we had a real live coffee tree in a five gallon bucket. One of those trees survived the ordeal, so we found a place to plant it in the hopes that it would thrive.  It really never made it, so we used it again the following year and then used it for firewood.  Our first year alone, here in the United States, we had no resources for a Christmas tree.  No resources that is, to pay for one.  We did the unthinkable and went for a "spin" to the desert and got ourselves some real nice cacti, brought them home,"spiffied" them up a little bit,and presto, Christmas.
I was reminded of this adventure today when we visited the Christmas tree sales location and collected a big bunch of twigs, brambles and parts of branches from the trimmed stuff that happens when the tree is groomed for the living room.  We gathered them up, brought them home and placed them in the bucket in which we have a wonderful three year balsam pine growing.  When we get it all dressed up and glorified, we'll take a picture and send it to you.
Actually, we were going to use a cactus that we have growing that is also in a five gallon bucket and it is five foot tall.  Our son wouldn't hear of it, so we went the other route.  Maybe some day, (next year?) he'll come around and we'll have our way!
Our house is also a church, so we don't do fake.  No matter what.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting that you should mention those times from the past. When I was in the service, living in Texas, I had a friend, who like the restof us lowly grunts, had little "resources". His answer to a tree was to go out an gather up a tumble weed. He then sprayed it with a can of "flock snow", then strung lights around it. It was the most beautiful "Christmas tree" I ever saw. Thanks for triggering that memory once again. Roland

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I read your comment, I could not help but think of all the variations of "trees" that I saw in the Philippines, Italy and Hawaii. When I read your comment I wished that I had pictures of some of those. I don't, of course. It is because you don't think at the time that there could be much meaning to them. Then, it happens to you! To me at least three or four times. Right here in the good ol' USA.
    Your comment also made me remember that one year, Denis and I decided that we would string popcorn on the tree. It would be "neat", wwe thought. Dad said, "NO. I don't need to remember the times that I had to do that. I'm not about to have it here for fun."
    So there. That sentiment was far from fake, believe me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stringing popcorn garlands was a tradition in our home for MANY years in honor of my mom's tradition from when she was a young girl. She described their modest tree as having REAL candles and popcorn and cranberry garlands (we tried cranberries one year. . .that didn't work too well). Mom Dion joined us each year for the gala event of stringing popcorn and trimming the tree, and there are some wonderful and funny memories that go along with her presence. . .like, she ate more popcorn than she strung. . .and her garland usually was the shortest and most knotted (we still can't figure out how she did that)! Wonderful and happy family memories. . .thanks for jogging them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The appropriate Internet, 21st century reaction to this wonderful comment is ROFLMAO. Thank you

    ReplyDelete