Wednesday, June 8, 2011

THE THINKER -- telecommuter -- VOICE FROM THE ... ?

I'll bet you think that this is a cute little "stolen shot" of a miniature human being playing solitaire on a borrowed laptop.  Nope, sorry.  This is a miniature human being breaking through all kinds of intellectual challenges in order to present a serious study on "Sin" to a group of Catholic adults on Monday evening.  Also, this is not a single, one of a kind, candid shot.  This is a photo of daily, hour after hour, posture of a person hard at work creating interesting teachings for the people who want to hear more about the Catholic religion.  I don't know how she does it.  I can sit in a chair for hours, but she eschews chairs and sits on her bed and pounds away at the keyboard creating study after study about a wide spectrum of topics, all of them religious and all of them Catholic.  
The only time she takes off is after a few hours, she gets up, brings the laptop to a central place in the house, turns on her favorite news channel and listens to the political commentary for a couple of hours.  Thanks to wireless Internet reception, we have been able to cut our cable communications bill in half.  We have also been able to discover sources of study material that are available in the blink of an eye.  They are also searchable by topic, making the thumbing through hundreds of pages a thing of the past.  This doesn't mean that we spend less time preparing a talk or a conference, but it does mean that the material delivered is better packaged and much more tightly packed.  
It was my thought, therefore, to show you the intensity of the effort that goes into the preparation of conferences in the 21st century.  There is no such thing as "my favorite author" any more.  There is no such thing as spending an afternoon and an evening at the library any more.  In the 21st century the universe is our library.  Our favorite author has disappeared and now we have the world of many eras at our finger tips.  Our favorite author can be several authors coming at us in their native tongue jumping off the page and into our open minds for the sake of our potential listeners.  All of this from the comfort[?] of our bed[?].  
Final thought.  The other day I was mentioning to the Voice from the Kitchen that I often think how nice it would be to have an amanuensis.  I would not have to flog myself into trying to remember what it is that I want to write in another 6 of 7 hours.  The amanuensis could capture it, start the first paragraph and I could take it home from there.  This seems important to me because so many of my thoughts develop while I am driving the distance from one home to another, or from home to the office.  I didn't get any sympathy, just more lame advice.  So we switched from that topic to praying the Rosary.  So I forgot what it was that I was thinking about for the rest of the day.  How sweet!
It's too bad that most of you will not get to learn about what good ol' Belle has to say concerning the very interesting topic of the age -- SIN.  Wish her well.

No comments:

Post a Comment