Friday, May 18, 2012

WHY ARE PEOPLE THE WAY THEY ARE?

The title question comes from an experience that I had yesterday, as compared with another experience that I had about an hour later.


The Voice from the Kitchen and I were on the main city street that leads from the church where we both work.  She for income.  Me for the eternal reward that I hope will come.  Just slightly ahead of us was a 1952 Hudson Wasp in the right lane.  It was evidently in the final stages of being "cherried out**[note below]."  It was shiny, original factory color, about the same as you can see in the picture.  The windows were open because of the heat of the day and the driver was a sixty-something guy with his left arm crooked in the position that has become famous as the "Holding-up-the-car-roof" summer driving posture.  When we both got to the light, red, of course, side by side, I thought I would give the guy a compliment.  I brought down the passenger side window, much  to the consternation of the occupant of the passenger's seat.  Since the driver of the nice antique wasn't looking my way, I gave a couple of quick little beep-beeps to get his attention.  When he turned I said, "Nice car.  I grew up in one of those."  SSSSSSnawrl ;;; "Yeah, I can see you messing around in the back seat...as far as you ever got." 
Sheesh!  The light turned green, I put up the windows and The Voice says, "See, I told you.  Mind your own business."
I sit there, shaking my head wondering where I went wrong in this whole scene.  I'll never figure it out.  
We got home and in about thirty minutes the telephone rang and it was a stranger calling.  This happens a lot because of the public exposure that Belle and I have in church.   It's compounded now because we are in the process of organizing a pilgrimage to Rome for the canonization of Kateri Tekakwitha.  The person on the other end is a woman with a fairly thick Hispanic accent, but a fairly good command of English.  After a few words her vocabulary and her grammar started to falter and she said, politely, "Do you speak Spanish?"  I quickly reviewed my previous experience that day with the Village Grump in the antique car, but I decided to be myself and go for it anyway..."Only when I'm hungry."  She laughs and says, "The same for me and English, and I just finished lunch."  Now we're both laughing and I'm happy that there is one person in town who understands me.  I reply in Spanish, "For you, I can pretend that I'm hungry."  More laughter, and we get down to business.  We'll be going to Rome together.


Those of you who know me personally, and there are a couple, know that I am not the sweetest guy in the world.  It has ever been thus.  More than once I have heard this feeback from third party people, "You're not as bad as I heard."  To that I have always responded, "Just give it time.  You'll see."  All that being said, and in recognition that I often don't know enough to keep my mouth shut because I just have to say something "witty," I still think that the guy in the Hudson could have reacted better at my compliment.  But hey, that's just me.
The good thing about it, in final analysis, I just picked up another person who is sure not to cry at my funeral.


**Cherried out: Old car lover slang.  It means super-sharp, all shiny and perfect.  It actually derives from an old (1950s) vulgar term for "virginity", 


i.e., perfect, undisturbed. "She's cherry" meant "she's a virgin" and "she's lost 


her cherry" meant, well, you know. 

It is used for old cars that have been restored to "show room condition" or even better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment