Sunday, May 20, 2012

CHIQUITA BANANA

In the 1940s, as disease ravaged banana plantations in Latin America, the major banana companies implemented strategies to convince consumers to buy their particular brand of fruit. The Chiquita banana campaign was, and is, one of the most successful in marketing history. The singing, dancing, sexy fruit was based on the real-screen cinema exploits of Brazilian bombshell Carmen Miranda.
After getting out of church this morning we went to the supermartket owned by some Mexican interests and situated here in Southern California.  We go there often for three major reasons.
1. Price
2.Fresh vegetables from nearly tropical zones
3.Fresh tropical fruits for the same reason
4.Oven fresh bread all day from 6:30 AM until 9:00 PM

It just so happened that today, for no known reason, I thought of Chiquita banana, a friend of mine as I was growing up.  I came upon the historical blurb that you see in the corner and I thought that those of you who are somewhat younger than I would appreciate a little history lesson.   The little song that you will hear by clicking on the link below the picture, says that you should never put bananas in a refrigerator.  That may be true, but I assure you that bananas freeze very well and when eaten frozen, while still hard frozen, are a very nice snack.  I know, I do it a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment