Friday, May 11, 2012

WHAH-JA SAY? IZZAT ENGLISH? LEMME CHECK MY MACHINE

http://pressingforward.blog.com/2011/04/28/translator-widget-help-for-international-bloggers/
TRANSLATION GADGET.  Artificial intelligence at its most humorous.  No kidding.  Actually, all I did was to opt to exercise my God-given freedom to press the "delete"key.
Artificiel cervaux au rire.  Pas enfant.  Actuel, tout fait opter exercice mon Dieu-donner librement pour presse clef de le thé.
WOW! I suggest the Mr. Microsoft get himself a better intelligence.  
X~X~X~X~X~X~X~X~X~X
Oh, I thought that I was so cute.  I installed the translation gadget on the blog and I just knew that my efforts to translate all my cute reflections into French and Spanish every time I wrote a post for the international community were going to be diminished.  Now I could write in the language of my choice and never worry about burdening my brethren in the far-flung areas of the earth with going through three languages before finding their preferred one.  Free, I was!  Free, at last!  
Was that Grandma's Ming Vase that just broke?
The first paragraph above is a facetious approximation of what happened after I was warned by a dear friend to test the translation gadget before turning it loose on my friends.  So, I did.  You have no idea how bad it was.  You have no idea how happy I am that I tested it.  You have my friend to thank for telling me that I should beware.  You have my guardian angel to thank for telling me to listen to reason.  I kid you not, it was horrible.  The humorous paragraph above was inspired by the result from the real thing. I know that some of you will not get it.  Trust me.  In some mysterious way,you should be happy that you don't get it.

I guess I have told you that I work for an international translation company.  It is called ISO Translations and is incorporated in Brussels.
This company prides itself on the fact that it offers translations that are aided by highly sophisticated software.  Some highly sophisticated customers always require that the translators use the software for the translations.  They trust the artificial intelligence of the machine over the grey matter of the human.  Well, let me tell you.  Without the human, the software is useless, except for one major advantage.  It provides the translator and the customer with a priceless trove of precious statistics about the document.  Gold plated, diamond studded numbers like, # of words; # of perfect matches; # of "fuzzy" matches; 
# of possible synonyms to try;  # of grammatical ambiguities and I think, I am not too sure, # of orthographic anomalies.  
The translator looks at this, feeds the software the alternatives, the software remembers the feed making it ready to use them in a different context the next time around.  Ah, technology.
I have resisted the temptation to learn how to use this techonological "advance."  I've spent 75 years tweaking the vibrations of the cranial synapses with which I have been blessed.  I have spent some time admiring the capabilities of the artificial intelligence of computers.  I am impressed, no doubt about it.  In fact, I am so impressed that I am going to be long dead and buried before I decide to feed these arrogant electronic interlopers with the information that would help them to take away my source[s] of human satisfaction.  Let them figure it out on their own.  No help from this guy.  No way.  Ever! 

No comments:

Post a Comment