Thursday, May 10, 2012

NONE SO BLIND AS THOSE WHO WOULD NOT SEE

http://www.metroactive.com/papers/metro/07.15.99/chew-9928.html
Every now and then something falls within my line of sight and it triggers something between a thought and a smile.  Then sometimes what happens is that the smile gives way to head-shaking bewilderment.  In this case, it was something a little bit different.  What happened was a little bit like a Rube Goldberg invention.
I was giving a Bible class and I had to tell the class that the apostles at one point did not "get it" because right there it was written that they did not see because their hearts were closed. [Marc 6; 52]  The class went on, finished, there was some discussion about how that still happens a lot in this day and age, yadi-yadi - yada.  
Then I came home and as I was looking up someting for my series of classes to the Spanish Speaking Young Ministers group, I fell upon a page of poems by Shel Silverstein.  One of them was Hector the Collector.  You all know that Mr. Silverstein was a VERY talented individual with insights and the ability to communicate them that few people have.  Hector the Collector was so closely reminiscent to the disappointment of Jesus about those who would not see that I just had to talk about it.  
Those of you who have been around "365..." for a long time perhaps remember my mentioning Roy Hood.  He was a Hector the Collector.  He took me and the "Boys" for several tours around his treasure.  When I read Shel's poem, I had Roy in mind.  I wanted a picture, so I took myself to Google Images.  It did not take long before I found the one you see above.  There is a long, long story attached to the picture at the address that serves as a caption.  This story would make Shel Silverstein write ten poems, not just one.  This is quite a story.  But I warn you, it is looonnnggg.  So, that's how I got to do what I just did.  Now, I give you the joy of reading
HECTOR THE COLLECTOR

Hector the Collector
Collected bits of string,
Collected dolls with broken heads
And rusty bells that would not ring.
Pieces out of picture puzzles,
Bent-up nails and ice cream sticks,
Twists of wires, worn-out tires,
Paper bags and broken bricks.
Old chipped vases, half shoelaces,
Gatlin' guns that wouldn't shoot,
Leaky boats that wouldn't float
And stopped-up horns that wouldn't toot.
Butter knives that had no handles,
Copper keys that fit no locks,
Rings that were too small for fingers,
Dried-up leaves and patched-up socks.
Worn-out belts that had no buckles,
'Lectric trains that had no tracks,
Airplane models, broken bottles,
Three-legged chairs and cups with cracks.
Hector the Collector
Loved these things with all his soul--
Loved them more than shining diamonds,
Loved them more than glistenin' gold.
Hector called to all the people,
"Come and share my treasure trunk!"
And all the silly sightless people
Came and looked...and called it junk

No comments:

Post a Comment