Saturday, June 13, 2020

MINORITY MAJORITY - VIEW FROM GROUND LEVEL

I can't resist the temptation to address the "Black Lives Matter" axiom in view of my humorous life trajectory.
I have to say that I am white, product of two white people.  One was born in Canada and one in New Hampshire.  I was born in Massachusetts.  All the time I lived in the USA, 24 years, I lived in a cultural bubble that was more French Canadian than Anglo American.
For two of those years I lived through the tsunami of Puerto Rican immigration that hit the east coast of the USA.  I  was working in an industrial, high volume printing company.  I found myself striving to learn Spanish based on my French fluency thereby helping the immigrants to navigate life on the "mainland."  
I confess that I did not learn much Spanish, but I did learn to like the the people and to support them against the prejudice of the long-term residents.

Then, I left my hometown work, went away to school and eventually the country.  I graduated from a famous Dominican University connected to the Vatican and went from Rome to Manila where I lived and worked for some ten+ years.  

Along the way, somewhere close to twenty years, I learned two inexorable  truths:  Prejudice is a human condition, no matter what it is aimed at.  I have seen it caused by differences of race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, sex, educational achievement, profession and political affiliation.  In other words, we humans have a tendency to judge other people according to our desire to be better than others no matter the basis of our attraction or detraction.  
The other truth is:  I am prejudiced in favor of warm climate regions of planet earth.  I decided long ago never again to live too far away from the equator.  I made that vow to myself during my four year domicile in Rome (42 degrees north).  I spent many years in the Philippines (17 degrees north).  I have lived accordingly since then.  That's why I live in San Diego. (33 degrees north)

San Diego can be a very uncomfortable location for a person who is comfortable with personal biases.  Along the way I have shown you the mix of the population in the neighborhood where we have lived since 1977.  It is what I sometimes refer to as the "Heinz 57 Varieties" show case of San Diego.  I have joked about the fact that Sunday Masses rarely have a total of 10 Caucasians in the building, including the presiding priest.  That's only the beginning.  

Talk about the leaders of the area churches:  Baptist: Korean;
Presbyterian:  Korean;  Jehovah's Witnesses:  African American;
Catholic (2): 1- Vietnamese; 1- Causasian;  Methodist: Filipino;  Baha'i: Middle Eastern.
Pharmacies: (4)  1- Traditional Chinese herbal; 2-Vietnamese; 1- Rite Aid has a Caucasian manager and the rest of the staff is Vietnamese, Hmong, Latin, African American, Filipino, Laotian, etc.
Dentists:  Vietnamese, Hong Kong
Super market: Chinese / Vietnamese
Tailors: (2)  1 - Chinese and 1 - Vietnamese
Florists:  (2)  2- Latin
7 Eleven store:  Indian
Jeweler: Chinese
Doughnut shop:  Mexican
Restaurants: (2) Thai || (3)  Vietnamese  || (2)  Mexican  
                       McDonalds - Mexican;  Kentucky Fried - Latin;
                       Jack-in-the-Box - Caucasian
Small general store:  (3) 1 - Mexican; 2 - Iraqi (Chaldean)
Cell Phone, etc:  (2)  Latin
Women's clothes: Vietnamese
Massage:  Thai
Liquor: (2) Iraqi (Chaldean)
Barbers + Hair stylists:  (5) 2 Iraqi (Chaldean); 1 Chinese; 2 Vietnamese
Pizza take-out: Latin
Roller rink: (The only one for miles and miles around!) The owner-operator is Caucasian.
US Postal service station:  I occasionally see a Caucasian on duty
Clinics-General health care- Private: (2)  Vietnamese
Public Laundramats: (2)  Latin
Auto repair/Tires: (4) 3 repair = Vietnamese; 1 tires = Latin
 N.B. - Latin is used because there are many varieties of them in the area, not all of them Mexican.
Gasoline stations: (3)  I confess, I really don't know the owner/operators of these businesses.

I hope you've enjoyed the tour.






No comments:

Post a Comment