Thursday, April 30, 2015

100 MOST INFLUENTIAL PEOPLE IN THE WORLD -- according to "TIME"

No, I didn't count them.  (Image from Muy Interesante, 1993)
Yeah I got my TIME the other day. I have listed the names that I recognized without any prodding.
I don't know why I know some of the names, but because I decided to be honest I listed them.
I am still trying to figure out why Secretariat hasn't ever been listed.
Anyway, here are the names I recognized out of 100:
Charles and David Koch
Scott Kelly
Tim McGraw
Angela Merkel
Bob Corker
Elizabeth Warren
Xi Jinping
Jeb Bush
Raul Castro
Kim Jong Un
Benjamin Netanyahu
Hillary Clinton
Barack Obama
Mitch McConnell
Ruth Bader Ginsberg
Jerry Brown
Malala Yusafzai
Pope Francis

That's 18.  With Man 'O War and Jackie Robinson, I get 20.

I remember growing up and thinking the world of certain people.  It was really uplifting to be able to know a fact or two about Bobby Doerr, for example.  Fortunately for me, EFR Dion thought highly of Bobby Doerr too.  I could go through a list of names that mean nothing to anyone at this time, but I won't because I have learned my lesson about this influential people myth.

Early in my life I came to know that one of the people whom I admire the most could not even pronounce the words Bobby Doerr, and wouldn't have recognized them had they been before his very eyes in the English language newspaper of the day.  Here was this hulk of an old man who was living a wonderful life, surrounded by loving children and grandchildren and he did not even know Bobby Doerr whom I idolized.  It was OK for him to not know Ted Williams.  EFR Dion and I both knew that he was a bum anyhow.  The fact that my Grandfather didn't know these people but still led a productive life did teach me a lot.  It did not keep me away from him.  Oh, no.  I couldn't get enough of him.  I still enjoy his spiritual company every day of my life.
So, what's with this influence philosophy?  Am I missing something because I only recognize 18 names out of the 100 that I suppose I am expected to not just recognize, but feel their influence?  I looked at the cover of the magazine and I asked myself whose face that is.  I read down the list and I was lost.  Not a single name jumped out at me from the "cowboy song" singers; not a single name jumped out at me from the French national soccer team; doesn't Michael Jackson play basketball any more?  Oh, and Cousy?  I really miss Maurice Richard too.
According to this list, I am not being influenced by anyone important.  To that, I said, YYEESSSS!
Obama?  Netanyahu? Kim Jong Un?  Bob Corker?  Hillary Clinton?  Hell's bells!  My life sure is a mess.  The only powerful vibes I get from anyone on the list is the Italian Catholic guy from Argentina and the teen ager from Pakistan.  Why do I like them?  Why do I know who they are?
Easy:  They speak truth to power.  Plain and simple.

Yes, my friends, the Time 100 and the Time Person of the Year don't move me any more.  What moves me now is my self determination, my unwaverably positive self-esteem and my unshakable faith in the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, Father of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
Everything else is pure dust and ashes.

So that's my thought for the day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment