Saturday, July 18, 2020

I REMEMBER WHEN...

I REMEMBER WHEN...

Let me invite you to have an interesting trip down your personal memory lane.  I am inviting you to think back at the times you said (or didn't say) "This, I will not forget."  Some might be safe, but many of them will be in the category of "stories that I will have to tell my children."

 Here are some samples of mine.

 1 - The day when I saw my first dead human being.  My aunt Cecile. (1942 

No, it was not traumatic.  I asked my father (EFR Dion) if I could touch her.  He said "yes."I touched her hand.  I can still feel it as I write.  I am convinced that the experience of what happened that day helped me to put dozens of fellow humans on their peaceful way to God.

2 - My first three days at school.   (1942)  

Enough of that personal stuff.  How about some history?

3 - The Hiroshima bomb (1945)  I was playing "back yard" baseball.

4 - Street celebrations of VJ day (1945 Driving home with EFR Dion with 3 pickerel in the creel.) 

5 - The St. Louis Cardinals beat the Boston Red Sox in game 7  (1946 Driving home with  EFR Dion's  brothers, Ed - driving - Normand and Donald) Note the French spelling of Normand.

6 - US Olympic Hockey Team beats Russia for Gold in Lake Placid, NY  (1980- I was alone with the two "babies" since the Voice from the Kitchen was conducting an RCIA session.)

7 - The assassination of John Kennedy  (1963 - We stayed up all night following the reports coming across short wave radio.  I was in Rome. It was after the evening meal. I was receiving the          sacramental cloths from the religious sisters who had the clearance to launder them.  I could hardly understand Italian at the time.  The young religious sister persisted.  I got the message.)

8 - Oklahoma City bombing  (1995)

9 - Campaign of lies by George W. Bush to justify attack on Iraq before the regime of Donald Trump.  This was the most viciously immoral White House that I had experienced before this one.

10 - Middle East airplane attack especially in New York  (2001).  We were living in Fremont, California at the time.  Son Jo-El was relaxing on the floor in front of the TV after breakfast before going to university.  I was listening to him say that a plane had hit one of the towers.  I was in the middle of telling him that this was not new.  

I was saying that in 1945 a B-25 bomber hit the Empire State Building.  Suddenly, as we watched the screen, #2 son exclaimed  “Oh *%@!" as the airliner struck the second tower before our very eyes. He never reported to class that day.  I did not report to work.  We didn't know it, but there was more to come.  If so, we did not want to miss it.

11 - 4 years of University studies in Rome, Italy -- 1961 to 1965 

12 - For a Catholic kid, I can boast that I have received all seven sacraments

Why have I done this?

I and the Voice from the Kitchen enjoy these and other points of interest in my life and in hers as gifts of God.  We hope that you can enjoy the memories that you have for your own peace and comforting entertainment.


No comments:

Post a Comment