Wednesday, May 22, 2013

SICKNESSES YOU NEVER HEARD OF -- THIS IS PROGRESS?

Let me start by saying that one of the realities that I admire and appreciate the most about the 21st century is the human interchangeable spare parts technology.  It never ceases to amaze me that the heart from a 100 pound woman can give a 200 pound man new life.  I have written here before how I had an uncle with only one lung.  He lived a long and eventful life.  So, I guess I should not be too surprised.

This is not about surprises.  This is about abbreviations.  One of the more technical advances that I have a hard time coming to grips with is the proliferation of secretly coded diseases.  You know, stuff like COPD; PAD; CPLF; ADHD; CCHF; DVD; IFAP syndrome, and finally the chronic disorder from which I suffer, ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ,  and that's only in English.  You ought to see what it looks like in Greek! or Hebrew! Should I say Japanese too?

Now come on, give us a break.  You're telling us that a person goes to med school, graduates and has to pass viciously difficult facultative exams just to be able to talk in code?  No wonder that when I go to the doctor for my once per year medicare "preventative care" visit, all my doctor does is to praise me for my marvelous health as shown by last year's lab results.  BTW, I did not make that up.

Excuse me, but I know what is wrong with me.  Yes, I do have some physical and mental discrepancies.  I don't have to tell them to you in code.  I got chronic gout, numb fingers and sore leg muscles, bad teeth, the ones that I still have, I mean, thinning grey hair, a heavy beard and bad breath.  That's the physical side.  The mental side is easier.  I am just bottom-line-crazy as a bed bug...and a mean bed bug at that.  So, come on, folks, let's call stuff what it really is.  It is rarely an abbreviation of anything.  It is most often the "Full Monty" of something.  

After hearing all that, aren't you glad that you're not the one married to me?


No comments:

Post a Comment