Monday, November 5, 2012

I'D LIKE TO HAVE YOU SIR, BUT I HAVE AN AWFUL LOT TO DO

Ya know, Mr. President, I have a lot to do
Be honest.  How many times have you glared at the ceiling, your head nestled comfortably on the pillow while you made up scenarios of how you would send some important and powerful person packing.  I don't know about you, but I have to say that some of the time when I was younger, I would spend a long time constructing how the scene would look from beginning to end when I got the school principal in the right position.  I would also hear stories about the chief of police and the decisions he would make about some of the people that I knew in town. It was great.  I always won.  I would imagine what I would tell people who were totally unreachable to me.
One time, I did have the opportunity to answer the chief of police of our small town.  He looked at me and simply said, "I know your family and I know that it will be best for me not to tell them what you just said."
So, that didn't work out that well.
I have to tell you that I envy Mayor Michael Bloomberg.  He is the mayor of New York City.  His city just got hit by a monster storm, variously named Franckenstorm or Stormzilla, or whatever other combination of frightening names you can think of.  There was a lot of damage.  Plenty of damage.  There was even some damage that Mr. Mayor didn't really recognize until his people started shouting into TV cameras that they needed help.  Now, those people got lucky.  They got straight to the top indeed.  Back when I was younger the most I could have wished for was fifteen seconds on the radio.  Now, of course, I would like more, and I am sure that all I have is my little corner of the Internet.  So, when Mayor Michael Bloomberg told the President not to come to New York because there was too much work to do.  My heart soared.  Wow, a true response to power.  Grrreat!  
Interestingly enough, the president doesn't seem to have let it bother him.  I love it.  The Mayor got the last word.  It worked too.  New York is getting the help that it needs.  So, see, you can speak truth to power and still keep power by your side.  
So, now that I have that under my belt, I will go back to dreaming about how I would do it in a given circumstance.  So,let me dream about it.  If I ever get a real chance and it happens, I'll tell you all about it.

2 comments:

  1. It needs maturity and humility to accept a rejection of a well planned good intention, the very reason why Obama is the man.

    ReplyDelete