Tuesday, November 13, 2012

I LEFT THE SCREAMING BEAUTY FOR THE TUMBLE WEED!

I have to open my heart to y'all.  There have been at least three times in my life when I have swooned over the beauty of the Autumn colors of New England.  Once, and the most powerful was the year when I returned to the USA after four years of residence in Rome, Italy.  That year, 1965, I arrived in June, rested for all of July and then went to work for the La Salette Missionaries for what was to be a temporary stint to last until about december 20.  Then I was to celebrate Christmas with the immediate family before leaving on December 27 for California and other points West & East because of the International Dateline.
The work I had was to visit Catholic churches throughout the New England and New York State region.  There I was to help with the preparation for the selling of specialized wood carvings from the Philippines and at the same time give an overview of the missionary work of the the La Salette missionaries during the Masses.  I was on the road from August through December 19.  I saw the gradual change of foliage during that time.  I had not experienced it in four years.  I remember at least twice when I had to park and recollect myself before continuing the drive to my destination.  My body was shaking and a torrent of tears was roaring out of my eyes.  I just sat there and hoped that I could have a clear view of the Divine artistry unfolding before me, mile after mile.   That "Foliage Season" was "Da Best."
Then came 2008.  I had the opportunity to return to Massachusetts in October.  I was accompanied by the Voice from the Driver's Seat, clone of the Voice from the Kitrchen.  We were driving from Attleboro, MA to Holyoke, MA and of course along the way the Divine Artist had let Himself loose ad we were enthralled.  Belle had the camera and she could not stop herself from snapping away at everthing she saw.  My heart was beating in two directions:  The foliage and the joy of my beloved.  It was a spiritually energetic two hours.  I was trying to be the "adult in the room" and not succeeding too well.  It was quite a trip.  It was proof that the Land preaches as much as the Book, if you let it.

Why did I think of all these things?  It is very strange how our minds and hearts function.  We now live in a small city on the margins of the two main metropolises, San Diego and Los Angeles Metro complexes.  It is a place where life has a very different tone.  It is also a place where when you drive along a city street you are very likely to see this:
Yep.  I was in the heart of town, on one of the mainest streets in the municipality when I had to wait for the wind to clear my path.
When I was growing up, I wondered what tumbleweed was, and is.  Now I know.  I prefer colored hardwood trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment