Monday, September 3, 2012

BLUE MOON -- AUGUST 31, 2012 -- HEAVENLY

http://www.redorbit.com/news/space/1112685242/blue-moon-neil-armstrong-083112/
The night of the "blue moon" came and went.  The Voice from the Kitchen and I were out enjoying it and reveling in it since it was a very clear night.  It was clear because the air had ben scrubbed the day before by the thunderstorm.  Remember?  So I didn't write about the blue moon.  Tonight, browsing around for a picture of blue moons in Google Images, I came across something that made me think of the days when I was younger.  You're looking at it.  Here's what it made me think of.
It was Thanksgiving.  There was a picture on the front page of the newspaper that was intriguing to me at my young age (10 or 12?)  It pictured a turkey standing on an axe handle that was bieng held on the horizontal by a young farm boy.  I was really taken by the picture and I told EFR Dion how impressed I was by the picture.  I was in for a bubble bursting lesson in real life.  He said, "It's not true.  That is a set-up picture, not a real snapshot."  I have to tell you that  I was not very happy to hear that.  I shook my head and then he rubbed it in.  "Can't you see that the turkey's feet are not grabbing the handle like they should.  The photographer took a turkey picture and a little farmboy picture and put them together.  I was enlightened, but not happy that I had somehow been "used."  
So, when I saw the picture above of a "Blue Moon" and a Great Blue Heron I actually controlled myself, shook my head and thought, no big deal, it's a fake.  So Mr. Photog, whoever you are and wherever you may be, in this day of "Photoshop,"  I have to say that the idea is a real good one.  I also have to say that I'm still holding off from being impressed.  I am not counting out the possibility that you did get lucky on August 31, 2012, but there are so many coincidences involved here that I think I'll pass on the Ohhs and Ahhs for this time.

I do not want to pass on the fact that Neil Armstrong was laid to rest on the day of the Blue Moon.  That was contrived too, no doubt, except that when a human celebration is involved, it's more like aligning the tributes rather then creating contrivances.  After all, he did die of natural causes.  Maybe a higher power was involved.  No matter what, all I want to say is "Nice touch."  As Belle and I were exchanging ideas about this, I thought of the other "old guy" who could have made hay out of this, "The Rest of the Story" guy, Paul Harvey.  
That's it for today.  J'ever notice how much nostalgia can attack you with just one little bit of stimulus?  It's crazy, I tell ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment