Saturday, November 29, 2014

SOMEONE GOT BLESSED ON THANKSGIVING -- THIS IS A BLESSING?

http://undoratrace.quora.com/The-man-who-
found-this-wallet-is-a-liar-and-a-thief



We start this 
article with a
story...







Before you continue reading what I am about to narrate, I suggest that you read the story to which you will be brought by clicking on the link just below the picture.  You 
will get more out of what you read below.

Yesterday was Thanksgiving in the United States.  That means that on this day we are committed to thanking God for the material and spiritual gifts that He has showered upon us in the year just past.  The Atheists also express their gratitude in the manner that they choose. I just thank God that I have the health to follow orders from the Voice from the Kitchen.  That's at the root of this story.  It takes place in the very environment that I described to you yesterday.  So, brace yourselves, this is a true story coming your way.

The person in charge of the household celebration had gone to the supermarket down in the valley.  There she bought a thermometer that she was sure would help to measure the inside temperature of the turket meat that she was going to prepare.  I was about other matters when of a sudden she asked for my thermometric engineering expertise.  
"Honey, how do I use this?"
"Hmmm, what's it for?
"You know, to see how hot the turket meat is."
"This is the wrong tool.  It can't do what you want."
"But it says 'Oven thermometer' doesn't it?"
"It sure does, but what we should have is a 'Meat thermometer' the one that has a long spike on it."
"Oh, I didn't know."
"I'm running now.  This will only take a minute."
"Oh, and by the way, please get a bag of ice and some ice cream."
"Now it's gonna take 30 minutes.  OK?"
"Go.  Go."

So, I go.  I have two options.  I go for the one that I think is going to be a slam dunk.
Ten minutes into the foray I realize that I not getting anywhere in this store, Rite Aid, the one with the French Canadian sounding Manager.  Langevin, from yesterday.
So I walk four doors down to the Chinese super market.  This, I am sure is the jackpot for the thermometer.  Don't forget the ice cream.  Not a hot item in a Chinese place, (Did I say hot?) but they will have to have a meat thermometer. 

Since I am wearing sweat pants without a pair of pockets, I take a shopping cart and put my wallet on the baby seat part in front of the handle.  I run to all the relevant places and find nothing.  Finally, I ask a stocker and he says, "We don't have."  So I park the cart and decide to run back to Rite aid for the ice and the ice cream and perhaps, find the thermometer.  I no sooner go through the Rite Aid door that I realize that I do not have my wallet.  

Aaaabout FACE...zoom over to where I had parked the cart.  No cart.  To security. Tall, handsome, young African, not Somali, wrong kind of nose, I get beyond that and ask about my wallet.  Nope.  To the Customer Service.  Nope. They request that I leave my name.  I do.  D-I-O-N, that's French, I say.

Security says, "Vous parlez francais."
 I say, "oui, et toi, Côte d'Ivoire?  Camaroune? Algérie? Maroc? Congo?"
Bingo, Congo.  We exchange more words in French.  As we're doing that he spots a cart with some baby chinese cabbage laying over my wallet.  He goes over, grabs the wallet and gives it to me.  I open it.  Oh Yeah! I just made my Thanksgiving contribution to a poor soul who needed it more than I.  Everything else is intact. Security and I make a few wise cracks in a language that you don't understand, and we take leave of one another.  I head for Rite Aid, buy the ice cream and ice.  I also find out that they have just sold their last thermometer...the one that could have been mine.

NOW, you think that I'm making this up.  Hey, old people like me don't have that good an imagination.  One last stab in the deep dark corners of Joe's (Jose's, really) 99¢ store.  
"Buenas tardes, Jose."
"Buenas tardes, Señor."
"¿Tienes termometros para medir le temperatura de carne en el horno?" (Do you have meat thermometers?)
"Si! Muchos.  ¿Caro o barato?  (Yes! Many.  Dear or cheap?)
"Cheap."
"$3.50."
Great day.  Robbed twice in a half hour :-)

Hey, there's a happy ending.  The ear to ear smile on the queen when she beholds my conquest.  

Happy ending 2.  She still doesn't know the wallet story.  
Oh, that 15 minutes I was talking about?  Try 60 after all that.

I hope that you enjoyed the introductory story.  No, my wallet did not have $800.00, not even $80...half of that at most...But like I say, someone got to eat better because of it. As a sign of gratitude, the person left me all my important, non cash, items.

Thank God.  It's only money.

No comments:

Post a Comment