Sunday, September 28, 2014

ORANGES -- CALIFORNIA vs FLORIDA --

I found this in one of the "alternative press" fish wrappers that is published weekly in San Diego, California.
San Diego has at least 8 of these publications in at least four languages: English, Spanish, Vietnamese, Chinese.  Beside that, there are at least two Filipino papers that appear in Taglish.  Taglish is actually "hapa English" which is Hawaiian for "Half English, half Tagalog.
This ad appeared in one of my favorites, City Beat.
It made me laugh because we in California love our beer so much that we'll use anything to brew it.  No such thing as conservative beer brewing here, no siree!
I did get to wondering though, if the bewers really get the freshly picked oranges or do they sweep the fallen ones from the ground and "salvage" them by turning them into beer?  I guess we'll never know that.  Look at that gorgeous ad picture and you'll see that they are really telling us that these are the best of the best oranges.
I have to tell you that this is not the strangest fruit that I have ever considered as being the root of the beer that I was drinking.  In some countries where bananas are king, some beer is made from bananas.  I actually have drunk some of that. ONCE!  That was enough. Especially when I tell you that it happened in the country where San Miguel is king.  I had all it took to be able to brag about the experience.  After that, I went back to the real thing.  
Oh, about the bragging thing.  It has been 40+ years since that happened and this is the first time that i have had the chance to talk about the experience.  So see, i haven't abused of the right to brag about it at all, now have i?  i'm so humble about it that i am even using the miniscule "i" in the story.  
Hey, notice that word miniscule?  That's ancient English for "lower case."  That just automatically slipped out, really.  Things like that happen when your brain is stuck on the mystery of how and why anyone would waste perfectly good orange juice and make it into beer.  The other thing that is bouncing around in my head is how many construction guys with 30" upper arms are walking around with 12 packs of Orange Juice Beer.  Oh well, only in San Diego, I guess!
Finally, my parting comment is, this makes me glad I stopped imbibing 3 years ago.  Just in time to make it easy for me to swear off "Artfully Crafted 100% California Orange Beer."

No comments:

Post a Comment