Friday, November 1, 2013

NO PICTURE - JUST YOUR IMAGINATION - THAT WILL BE $1.00 PLEASE

Those of you who have been reading in this corner know that there is a lot of nostalgia laying around.  So, I usually have a picture of some nature to help you bring your mind back as far as I go.  No mean trick, actually.  Tonight, though, I am going to talk about something that happened to me today.  As you know, I've done that a time or two.  Here is what happened.

I have been looking for a cheap life insurance policy to replace the one I have had for ten years.  It is due to expire in August and the premium would explode in the manner of Hiroshima.  An agent got me a nice, I thought, guaranteed issue $20,000 policy.  All I had to do was to fill out the forms and start paying the premium.  I had a question to ask stemming from the mailed documents that I had received.  During the telephone call, on which I happened to be talking to a sweet and gentle, softly lilting voice of a respectful and warm senior sounding lady, I found out the following.

For every single "mode of payment" to this insurance company, there is a fee.  The fee is based on the degree of convenience or inconvenience that the exchange of money from the buyer to the seller entails.  Of course, it is the seller who determines the degree of inconvenience.  So, and this is but an example, not the real numbers.  This is just an illustration of the concept.

    MODE OF PAYMENT                                    FEE
Pay by cash out of hand:                   Principal + 1%
Pay by check, USPS                          Principal + 2%
Pay by telephone call                         Principal + 3%
Pay by direct bank to bank draft         Principal + 4%
Pay by online banking                        Principal + 6.5%

If you think that this is a joke, think again.  It happened to me today as I was talking to the above mentioned sweet little old lady from the insurance company.  I warned her in these words, "Lady, I'm now going to say something that is going to offend you."  I proceeded to tell her in firm, but unmistakably acerbic terms that it is viciously immoral to charge someone a fee for putting money in your hand for a previously agreed upon amount.  She was silent for a good minute and a half.  I just waited, silently, of course.  She then, meekly, proffered, "Well, every company does it."  I said, "I have a computer full of bills that I pay without any 'modal fee.'  So lady, this conversation has just ended.  Good-bye."  Click.

So, boys and girls, be very astute when conducting business with sweet little ol' ladies.  They talk like angels and slink like asps.

Now see, you didn't need a picture for that, now did you?

No comments:

Post a Comment