Thursday, August 29, 2013

CORPORATE CULTURE AND THE TRANSLATOR


Raining cats and dogs

How do you want me to say it? 
I have choices, but I cannot read your mind and I do not know your internal culture



Several years ago I worked for some large international corporations and I had to produce legal agreements to be used between the corporation and outside interests in laguages other than English.  In one of these companies we drew up a list of conventional intra company terms [sometimes referred to as "argot"] that would not be translated into the language of the outside interest, but were to remain in the language defined by the corporate culture of the company for which I was working.  This was often the case with technical acronyms.  One of these was AQL (Aceptable Quality Level).  There were others in engineering and in accounting and in purchasing as well.

The point I want to make is that a good translator will try to identify what, if any of the terms used in a legal, or even paralegal document are to be or not to be translated according to accepted and established corporate culture.  The professional translator is aware of some of these idiosyncrasies and inquires from the client which ones they are. 


Verifying this from the outset can prevent discomfort and discontent between the client and the translator.  

No comments:

Post a Comment