Sunday, November 28, 2010

WE DO NOT THRIVE ON BREAD ALONE

I know that this is true because I live it every day.  In many ways, I live it.  I want to take a light hearted "view" of the comeback that Jesus threw to Satan when they were "proof texting" one another in the desert, early on in Matthew's Gospel, chapter 4, verse 4.  Jesus tells Satan that man thrives on "every word that comes from the mouth of God."  
I'm not contesing that, but God has also given us some pretty nice stuff to admire with our eyes and hearts, as well as His sweet words that feed our ears and hearts.  That's why I took this photo on Thanksgiving day, not too far back in the past.  That's the blue PACIFIC OCEAN on the horizon and that's what we see from our kitchen.
When we turn around from the kitchen, we look through the dining room and out the bay window and see a sweeping panorama of the San Diego River Valley to catch the two levels of heights in the eastern distance.  It is all the more majestic since it is set off nicely by the majestic Norwegian Pine tree on the left.
The "frosting" on this wonderful "cake" is the balmy 65 degree weather that is the average temperature for this part of the world.
When I first came to San Diego to live, I didn't come for the climate.  I came for the comfort of the extended family.  It was a time of search and a time of change, so Massachusetts was not going to fill the bill at the time.  So, San Diego it was.  But now comes the secret of the thought for the day.  All the while I was taking these pictures I was remembering the unsurpassed beauty of a landscape brilliantly bejeweled with snow and ice.  You can't escape it.  I can't escape it.  Every now and again during the "winter" months, I spend some time mooning over the miraculous makeovers that snow gives the face of the land.  This happened to be one of those days when that was the thought that got my attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment